After choosing the dance fitness as my format, I decided to go with a branded program and piggyback off of the program’s research, expertise, and marketing. No sense re-creating the wheel.
Traditional branded programs provide music and choreo that must be strictly adhered to, resulting in a canned, one-size-fits-all approach; but I wanted a program that provided guidelines, not rules, when it came to movements and rhythms.
Zumba ® is a program that allows instructors to select the songs and rhythms we love, create and modify the choreography to suit our participants, and bring our own flavor to the class. The program is branded, but it is not canned.
Blending the laws of aerobics with the laws of interval training, Zumba® designed its own method of “intermittent training.” Zumba Gold® is a low-impact, moderate-to-high energy version of the original. It follows the same principal with easy to follow choreography and additional emphasis on coordination, balance, and range of motion (the foundations of independent living).
While a lot of dance fitness classes are rhythm specific – such as hip hop, Latin, or Bolly – Zumba Gold® takes you around the world. My playlists are predominantly global rhythms from Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East, and the South Pacific with the occasional pop song thrown in.
In addition to incorporating verbal and visual cuing to accommodate different learning styles, all my classes are high energy, low-to-medium intensity, and low impact, with moves modified to ensure a joint-safe cardio workout with elements of functional fitness.
Benefits of Zumba® (as per Healthline):
- It’s a full body workout that doesn’t feel like work.
- You’ll burn calories and fat while improving your aerobic fitness.
- You’ll build endurance, decreasing your heart rate and systolic blood pressure.
- You’ll improve cardiovascular fitness.
- It’s adaptable to any fitness level, move on your own to the beat of the music.
- It’s social, every time you step into class you are welcomed into a social situation.
- It can increase your pain threshold, decreasing pain severity and pain interference.
- It can improve your quality of life.
Zumba®, Zumba Gold®, and the Zumba Fitness logos are trademarks of Zumba Fitness, LLC, used under license.
Updated: January 9, 2022